Edward Anthony was born in New York City in 1819.
In 1838 Mr. Anthony Graduated from Columbia college and pursued a background in civil engineering obtaining work building the Croton Aqueduct. Before the completion of the aqueduct, however, he was invited to accompany Professor James Kenwick on a survey to the north western boundary of the United States, which was a subject of dispute with Great Britain at that time.
During his engagement as civil engineer on the Croton Aqueduct, Mr. Anthony purchased lessons from Samuel F.B Morse and had employed his leisure hours as an amateur photographer. He acquired considerable skill in making pictures with a with a wet plate outfit. Prof. Renwick employed Mr. Anthony's knowledge of this new and useful art would be of inestimable value to him in his survey of the disputed land. Mr. Anthony accordingly took with him the necessary apparatus, and made satisfactory photographs of the land, which were forwarded to the State Department. It is said that this is the first instance in which the art of photography was used by any government, and the results which Mr. Anthony obtained were very valuable in settling the dispute. As a result, the US government established the Webster-Ashburn treaty of 1842, which defined the boundary between Maine and Quebec.
In 1842, After finishing this survey, Mr. Anthony decided to take up photography as a business, and upon going to Washington, the Committee on Military Affairs, of which Thos. H. Benton was then chairman, gave him and his partner the use of their committee room for the practice of their new photography profession. After a rather short practice of photography, Mr. Anthony abandoned it to take up the larger Daguerreotype gallery in New York .
In 1847 he opened a separate shop devoted exclusively to photographic supplies. Sales grew rapidly and he ceased operations in his daguerrotypist gallery.
By 1852, The business expanded enough and Edward took on two silent partners. His Brother Henry T. Anthony joined. Henry also had a background in civil engineering and also banking. The other partner was a financier.
In 1854 The Anthony factory was located at New York city's, Harlem Rail Road Depot, occupying 1/4 of the building. It was stated in an Anthony catalogue that this factory was the most extensive apparatus and photographic material manufacturer in the wold.
In 1862, the firm�s name was changed to E. & H.T. Anthony to recognize his brother�s contribution.
In 1883, E. & H.T. ANTHONY produced the first commercially manufactured hand instantaneous camera, called the Schmidt Patent Detective Camera, in America.
Edward Anthony died on 14 December, 1888 of heart disease.
Ref: The Photographic times, Volume 18, dated Dec. 28, 1888. p631.# 1460
Return to Previous Page
Return to the History Librarium
Copyright © 2002 - 2019 Historic Camera