© & image info
H.A. Hyatt Photo Supply
In 1848 the Photo Supply house was established by Wm. H. Telford.
In 1873 it was succeeded by the firm of Tatchell & Hyatt and continued until 1881.
In 1881 Mr. Henry A. Hyatt became sole proprietor of the photographic apparatus and supply store, at the north east corner of eight and locust streets, at No. 11 S. 5th St., St. Louis, Missouri. The firm later moved to No. 411 N. 4th St.
H.A. Hyatt ran one of the most influential stores in the St, Louis area. In addition to selling a full line of photographic supplies and cameras made by the Rochester, New York manufacturers, like the Rochester Camera and Supply Co. products. Hyatt also marketed his own camera designs.
In 1887 the company patented and actively marketed a Patent Stamp Portrait Camera. The design is credited to Kuhn's patent. The photo sizes ranged from 4 images on a 4x5 plate to 25 images on a 5x8 plate for both stamp and minette sizes.
Harry H. Hyatt published several books including the monthly photographic journal "The Photo-Mirror" and the Photo-Beacon.
In 1891-92 Hyatt moved his store to 417 N. Broadway, St. Louis, Missouri.
In 1897 he Hyatt purchased the stock of J.C. Somerville Photo Supply Co. of St. Louis and moved to 410 and 412 North Broadway. a four story building on the most prominent business street, providing over 11,000 square feet of floor space.
The company was in business well into the 20th century, on N. Broadway, as indicated by an advertisement published in 1920. However, the ad indicates that Hyatt's was the store for gifts. Only a small mention of Kodaks is found amongst a wide selection of silver, cutlery, sporting goods, poker outfits, etc.
(Special thanks to the Missouri Historical Society for their assistance and research)
An earlier 1890 advertisement can be seen by clicking here