HORNE, THORNTHWAITE & WOOD
Horne and Thornthwaite was founded in London through the purchase of the instrument making business of Edward Palmer at 103 Newgate Street. The partnership of Horne and W.H. Thornthwaite was formed in the 1840's shortly after the discover of the daguerreotype.
In 1843 William Henry Thornthwaite PH.D., F.C.S. composed one of the earliest books on photography entitled “Photographic Manipulation”
In 1846 Edward George Wood joined the firm as a manager and the name was changed to HORNE, THORNTHWAITE AND WOOD.
In 1847 W.H. Thornthwaite composed “A Guide to Photography . . . Including Photogenic Drawing, Calotype, and Dguerreotype . . “
In 1851 the company was awarded the Great Exhibition prize medal for photographic apparatus. The entries included:
1. Daguerreotype Apparatus consisting of an adjusting back camera, with compound achromatic lens, an improved bromine and iodine box, with contrivance for transferring the prepared plate to the frame of the camera, mercury box, plate-box, chemical-chest, buffs, plate-holders, gilding stand, tripod, &c. The parts of the apparatus are so arranged that the process may be entirely performed in the light without the necessity of a dark room.
2. portable folding calotype camera, with compound achromatic lenses, with apparatus for the calotype and Collodion process, for portraits and views &c. .
In 1852 the firm expanded to include 121 and 123 Newgate Street, in addition to 103 Newgate Street, London. W.H. Thornthwaite wrote his second book entitled A guide to photography: containing a concise history of the science and its connection with optics, together with simple and practical details for the production of pictures by the chemical action of light upon prepared surfaces of paper, glass, and silvered plates … and the improved processes for obtaining views, portraits, etc.; with prepared collodion and albumen.
In 1855 Wood left the company to purse his own and the companies name was reverted back to Horne & Thornthwaite. Wood Left behind his contribution for his invention of the first vertical double lantern or biunial.
In 1857 W.H. Thornthwaite again received a prize at the Great Exhibition of London.
In 1876 the company moved to 416 Strand,
In 1886 Wood returned back to Horne & Thornthwaite as a partner until 1893 with his son running his other business. Wood died in 1895.
The firm was in business until 1912.
*** A reproduction of Horne, Thornthwaite & Woods historic 1851 Photographic Apparatus catalogue is available in our HCCC members shop of photographic history.
Return to Previous Page
Return to the History Librarium
Copyright © 2002 - 2019 Historic Camera