The James F Shew & Company was established in 1849 and operated originally as a Wholesale Photographic Store at 30 Oxford street in London, England. Upon inventions the company expanded and later moved to 87-88 Newman Street where they sold retail. They opened a second store at 132 Wardour Street. They advertised the company as Inventors, Manufacturers and patentees of Specialties in photographic apparatus and dealers in every description of photographic materials and accessories. They remained in business until 1920.
The Company's introduction of the first quarter plate hand camera called the Xit which fit conveniently into a pocket. It was a well made camera and novel design which allowed plates to be easily introduced weighing only 16 ounces. The company enjoyed a successful production of the Xit Series. Shew also introduced aluminum in his camera construction.
For a product listing of the J.F. Shew company's cameras click here
Copyright © 2002 - 2019 Historic Camera