The firm of Sanders or Crowhurst was established in 1900 as opticians and photographic dealers at 71 Shaftesbury Avenue, London. The firm was an agent for Watson & Sons instruments. H. A. Sanders was an employee of Watson & sons for the previous 19 years working all aspects of the business with the latest being in the optical and lantern slide business. Mr. H. Crowhurst also worked for many years with Watson & Sons and prior to the business start, he work with a spectacle makers company and was considered an expert on corrective materials for defective sight.
In 1907 Sanders made an expedition to the actual Birdland with his photographer friend Oliver G. Pike F.R.P.S. and returned with a cinematograph of the wildlife. It was well recieved by the entertainment community. In December of 1907 H. Armytage Sanders was elected as a Fellow to the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain.
In October 1908 the partnership between Harry Arthur Crowhurst and Harold Armytage Sanders was reported in the London Gazette to be dissolved. Sanders continued the business under the new name of Sanders & Co. at the 71 Shaftsbury Avenue, London, W. location and Crowhurst at the 55 Western Road, Hove, Brighton location.
In 1910 Sanders & Co. was purchased over by J.A. Sinclair.
In 1915 H. Armytage Sanders F.R.P.S. was located at 26, Charing Cross Road, W.C. where He continued to take naturalist photographs.
H. Armytage Sanders died 4 September 1940 at the age of 73 in Hampstead, London, England and H.A. Crowhurst died 8 December 1943 at the age of 75 in Southampton, Hampshire, England.
CLICK HERE for an icon listing of Sanders & Crowhurst Camera's
1900 November, The Photographic Dealer, page 112
1907 September, The photographic news
1908 October London Gazette Notice- reported in the Pharmaceutical Journal p. 394
1995 British Camera makers Channing & Dunn, page 111
Return to Previous Page
Return to the History Librarium
Copyright © 2002 - 2019 Historic Camera