HC  Msg Board  Librarium  Club  Shop  Links  Gallery  Flickr  Members

Multilith Camera- Pic Shown

Tell us about your favorite camera, share new camera purchases, items on ebay or cameras wanted.

Multilith Camera- Pic Shown

Postby deeshoge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Antique Copier Machine Sample.jpg
Sample Pic of same thing I have in storage, the one i have is probably in better shape..
IMG-20120303-01067.jpg
Label from actual machine
Antique Copier Machine Sample.jpg
Sample Pic of same thing I have in storage, the one i have is probably in better shape..

Hello, I sure could use some help..We have this old camera, but looks more like a picture of an old photo copying machine in the picture i attached.. it sits on the rails just like the one in this sample picture. I also attached a picture of the label on it.. We are cleaning out our warehouse and dont want to toss this if it might be of value to someone.. It has been in dry storage for years and was recovered from an old bindery building.. When I look up this model number and info from the label it just pulls up printing presses also built by multilith..does anyone know what this actually is and maybe an approximate value?

Thanks very much in advance for any info someone might have to help us..Dee
deeshoge

Re: Multilith Camera- Pic Shown

Postby John_Kratz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 am

Hello Dee,
I'm no expert on these things, but it looks to me like this is a camera for photographing artwork in order to make printing plates. Photos & text would be assembled on a large sheet which would then be photographed by this camera. In some cases, the back end of the camera would actually be in a darkroom, where the camera operator/plate maker would develop the exposure, usually enlarge it, and then make a printing plate from it. The camera in the photo looks to have a mirror, at 45°, in front of the lens. This would be so a photograph could be made of artwork that was on a table, parallel to the ground.
I can't tell how large your camera actually is, but they would normally be quite large, since the bigger the initial exposure, the sharper the enlargements would be.
The question of value is a tough one, because although it looks to be a high-quality piece of equipment, and likely still operational, its sheer size makes it difficult to sell. You never know though - you could put it up on eBay and see if there are any (local) takers. A commercial photographer could certainly use such a camera in their studio. A printing company may want it as well, for display in their lobby perhaps. Sometimes the value of an item is simply what someone is willing to pay for it.
I hope this helps you.
~John
John_Kratz

Postby faarigia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:30 am

I would be interested in seeing a few. I am in the same situation. We have had a few donations and it does take a long time to digitize and post. I hope to be able to process someday through Historic Camera, but we are not staffed yet. You can always post in our gallery or on flickr.
faarigia

Postby lourencohen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:21 am

This is one of those oldest cameras available. I don’t think we can get a new one. This camera has such a large pixel ratio that you can actually enlarge the picture to whatever size you want without any pixel loss.

-----------------------------------------
LOUREN COHEN
face masks
----------------------------------------
lourencohen

Postby happywheels » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 am

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. happy wheels demo
happywheels

Return to Camera Photos, New Purchases