Box camera ID

Get info on camera values or identification of make and model.

Box camera ID

Postby Engprof » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 pm

I just bought a large box camera: "Thornwald Dandy No 4"
4x5 Montgomery Wards -this label is inside the little hatch at the top-back where the film holder goes.
It is a 4x5 and is about twice the size of a box Brownie in all dimensions.
It has one slightly shorter than standard 4x5 film holder which is loaded through a lid that opens in the top rear of the camera.
It seems that it will take standard film holders if you let them stick up and out the top.
Two speeds "I" and "T".
I did the usual internet search and nothing turned up. (a surprise)
Has anyone ever heard of such and if so do you know when it was made?
Thanks,
Joel Barnett
Engprof

Re: Box camera ID

Postby Daniel C » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:33 am

Hi,
Referring to the McKeowns guide (page 699 - 12th edition), The Thornward Dandy camera range was sold by Montgomery Ward & Co ( most of such cameras were not marked with the company name).
The description on the guide is as follows:
" c 1899, Detective type box plate camera for 4x5", same as Gem Poco. Other models include:
No.2 - 3 1/2x 3 1/2" (Cyclone Jr.)
No.3 - 3 1/2x 4 1/2"
No.4 - 4x5" (Cyclone Sr.)"
Could you provide a photo of your camera?
Daniel
Daniel C

Re: Box camera ID

Postby Engprof » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello Daniel,
Thanks for the information.
I had a suspicion it would be in McKeown, but I have been "cleaning up" at home recently and I don't know where I put my own copy.

I don't know how to post pictures, but it might not be worth the effort. It really does look just like an oversize black box-Brownie with two little "eyes" at the top front and a inset round lens hole in the center. It even has the fore-and-aft leather handle on top just like a Kodak.

If I can get to it I want/need to clean the back side of the lens. If I can do that -awkward but feasible, I think, I might try to take a few pictures with it.
The fact that it's ~1899 is of significance, since I have been doing some WWI reenacting and it's pre-WWI, so it would be of a camera-type that might have been used back then.
Thanks again,
Joel
Engprof

Return to Camera Value - Identification