Need help identifying 1872 Photographs

Share collected photos, user analog photos and information about photographs

Need help identifying 1872 Photographs

Postby amysantiques » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

About 7 years ago, I was hired to clean out unpaid storage units. This was in a unit.

There are 11 antique photographs on this register. I thought the top 4 photos were daguerreotype photos but I was informed that they are actually old Carte De Visite (CDV) photographs???? I really need help identifying them correctly. The bottom 7 are tintypes (magnetic). I have spent countless hours trying to research this, but I have been unsuccessful. This antique register is very large! Without the frame it stands approximately 25 1/2" tall x 21 1/2" wide!

The steele pen art work is absolutly amazing!!! It is all hand drawn beautifully with a steele pen by W.P. Cooper

The top reads- 1872 The Cooper's America Citizens Inscribed To Register Our True Friends

On the bottom, it reads- PROPRIETOR & PUBLISHER B.P. KENNEDY Conneaut, Ohio Entered according to act of congress in the year 1872 by W.P. Cooper in the Office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington DESIGNED AND Wholly Executed with The Steel Pen by W.P. COOPER Kingsville Ohio
Attachments
1872 3.JPG
1872 2.JPG
1872 1.JPG
amysantiques

Re: Need help identifying 1872 Photographs

Postby tom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Amy,

from looking at your image it does appear that the photos are Albumen Paper Prints which are typically formatted as CDV's. Here is a little information on the main different types of photographs.

http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/libra ... app_id=224

That is an amazing item. I can't make out but are there names associated with the photo. If they were important people that would greatly increase the value.

Regards,
Tom
tom

Re: Need help identifying 1872 Photographs

Postby lisaa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:16 pm

nice pics, thanks for shairng the post
lisaa

Return to Photographs