The Detrola Corporation was founded in 1931 by John J. Ross, a former tool and die maker at the Ford Motor Company. The company beginnings were in 1929 at the start of the great depression with Ross making four tube radios. The business evolved to manufacturing radios and record players. It was located at 1501 Beard Street, Detroit, Michigan. The company incorporated in 1931 as the Detrola Radio Corp. Then in 1936 as the Detrola Radio and Television Corporation, and changed again in 1937 as the Detrola Corp. In 1938 the company launched an unsuccessful line of candid cameras for about two years. In 1941 Ross sold his portion of the company. Motorola bought the manufacturing line in 1948.
CLICK HERE for an icon listing of Detrola camera's.
2005 McKeowns Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras, 12th edition
Copyright © 2002 - 2019 Historic Camera